The Church of the Most Holy Redeemer
The Catholic ministry to the Italian-Catholic families began as early as 1874 and were held at the old Cathedral Church in St. Paul located at Sixth Street at St. Peter. Father John Shanley, the assistant pastor from the Cathedral, held these services for approximately twenty families until 1883. Other priests continued to minister to the early Italian families until 1899 when Reverend S.N. Odone arrived from Italy and celebrated the first Mass on October 1st of that year in the Cathedral chapel for approximately one-hundred and fifty families. On May 27, 1901, Archbishop John Ireland officially named it The Church of the Most Holy Redeemer and it was incorporated on February 9, 1906. The old Cathedral was dismantled in 1914 and the Italian congregation of approximately three hundred families worshiped at the Assumption Church until the new Holy Redeemer church was built on College Avenue near St. Peter Street in downtown St. Paul. It was dedicated on January 9, 1916, with the first Mass celebrated by the Father H. Ciabottone.
Monsignor Louis Pioletti became pastor of Holy Redeemer on December 24, 1924, and began to build the community through expansion of the facility and evangelizing the Italian community in St. Paul. Msgr. Pioletti pastored the parish faithfully for forty-four years and retired in 1968. At that time the State of Minnesota acquired the property for Interstate Highway (94 & 35E) purposes.
The parish acquired property in Maplewood in order to continue its ministry to the Italian community, as well as the new families who joined. The parish moved permanently to Maplewood in October of 1968, and the first services were held at Hazelwood Elementary School and Lakewood Lutheran Church. Informal ground breaking for the present building occurred on September 13, 1970, and the first celebration in the new church facility was on April 2, 1971.
The success of Holy Redeemer has been built on each member’s active and monetary support. One has a sense of pride when they become involved in the various functions of the parish. Establishing community takes work and can only come through total effort from each parishioner.
The Church of St. Peter merged with the The Church of the Most Holy Redeemer in 2007. More about the merger.